Suggestion Needed For a Case Scenario

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I'm in the middle of a progress where I have to create more than 50000 pages.

I have created base page template already. The page template utilizes HTML Token Replace feature. For instance I included Tab Name, Tab Description and Tab Keywords tokens where needed. Therefore I have to refrain myself from leaving description and keyword fields empty.

To make the work easy, I also used a draft text at Description field.

For instance:  Page Name: London Hostels

Page Title: London Hostels

Page Desc: London Hostels, Cheap London Hostels, Where to find Good Hostels at London etc...

Page Keyword: London

As you see, I only used City name at Keyword field, hoping to use:

Page Title: [Tab:Keywords] Hostels

Page Desc: [Tab:Keywords] Hostels, Cheap [Tab:Keywords] Hostels, Where to find Good Hostels at [Tab:Keywords] etc...

at my skin via StyleHelper....

Timo, do you think current release of StyleHelper can be used in this case scenario? If not I would be the first one to try a new beta build to achieve this goal... Btw, I would buy you a drink if this can be easily implemented...

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 5:31 PM

At this "change meta" in the stylehelper skin object does not support tokens.

But I have another suggestion.

I would create a portal template if I were you and import that

I have done that before and it is some work, but it is worth it especially for 50000 pages...

I did it this way:

I had all the data in a database.

I created a portal with one page and exported that.

Then I took the page part from the generated XML file and used that as a "template" to parse with the data from the database (dirty way create the xml for the pages using SQL)

Then paste this in the portal template, increase the .NET timeout time and import the portal.

HTH

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Nice Idea Timo, I was also considering a method like this. But At DNN 6 I see some GUID columns at Tabs table. I thought this would prevent me importing tabs from XML source. Inside DNN 6, I can create new pages using Default.page.template or named.template files.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I would not do this directly in the Database, but using Admin > Site Wizard.

You "only" have create & test the portal template in that case, advantage is that you can also set the page rights, etc.